I was reading Riya a story last night. It was about a little fox and a little badger and their friendship. I asked Riya :
One of the evenings when we returned from office and nursery , I gave Riya a cup of milk and she was doing everything else but drinking it. I got a little angry and shouted at her asking her to drink the milk and she stared and me , tears filled up in her eyes. Then she said " say sorry , mummy ". I got mad. I thought she was supposed to say sorry for all that she was doing but I quickly realised I had also not been fair by shouting at her. So I asked her " will you say sorry to me for not drinking your milk if I said sorry ?" She replied " no, you say sorry and I will drink my milk". Lol. By that time I was about to laugh, looking at her expressions and the turn of events. But I maintained a straight face and said " OK, I am sorry Riya, I will try not to shout at you". She replied " good girl mumma" and went on and finished her cup of milk. I was seeing a little me in her. Children are sometimes a reflection of what you are. For our generation , parents never said sorry to us and we never expected them to . It just didn't seem right. But now I guess the one who is wrong says sorry , be it parents or the child but I think it is right way. If I don't apologies when I am wrong how can I teach my daughter to do the same? Good lesson learnt :).
Me : what is a friend ?
Riya : one with loooong hair :).
Me : what do you do with your friends?
Riya : tidy up dirty things :) ( probably bcoz she had tidied up her room full of toys with her friends today before they left).
Me : and?
Riya : play and jump.
Me : who is your friend?
Riya : peeepppa pig , that's why she is sleeping with me :O.
This is one of the funny conversations with Riya. She is all about these funny answers now. I have no idea what she is thinking but it's amazing to see their point of view and a different way of looking at things. She talks non stop now and is full of imaginations and ideas. I and Vaishakh were looking at some old videos last night when she could barely speak a few words. It felt so strange as I cannot remember that phase at all. All I can remember now is she talking and talking and answering her never ending "WHY?" questions. It's a tough job!
One of the evenings when we returned from office and nursery , I gave Riya a cup of milk and she was doing everything else but drinking it. I got a little angry and shouted at her asking her to drink the milk and she stared and me , tears filled up in her eyes. Then she said " say sorry , mummy ". I got mad. I thought she was supposed to say sorry for all that she was doing but I quickly realised I had also not been fair by shouting at her. So I asked her " will you say sorry to me for not drinking your milk if I said sorry ?" She replied " no, you say sorry and I will drink my milk". Lol. By that time I was about to laugh, looking at her expressions and the turn of events. But I maintained a straight face and said " OK, I am sorry Riya, I will try not to shout at you". She replied " good girl mumma" and went on and finished her cup of milk. I was seeing a little me in her. Children are sometimes a reflection of what you are. For our generation , parents never said sorry to us and we never expected them to . It just didn't seem right. But now I guess the one who is wrong says sorry , be it parents or the child but I think it is right way. If I don't apologies when I am wrong how can I teach my daughter to do the same? Good lesson learnt :).
No comments:
Post a Comment